Friday, January 23, 2015

Teachable Moments

 


 I don't know how other moms feel during the "preteen" years but I'm getting a good dose of "tolerant stares and a whole lotta "I know"s- geesh!  Well I wanted to encourage all of you out there that feel like you can't find your sweet child that, you could have sworn was there just a few months ago, there are teachable moments still at your finger tips.
  The other night it was very cold and Belle was in the kitchen wanting to make hot cocoa.  She asked if she could have some and I said, "sure" and then she got busy bustling around in the kitchen.  Luckily I walked into the kitchen at just the right time to see her mixing her hot milk with baker's cocoa.  Now some of you reading this just *cringed* because like me, you have made the same mistake in your life.  I calmly asked her if she had tasted it yet and she said she hadn't so I leaned up against the counter and watched her taste it.  Hehe, it was funny to see her go to the sink and spit it out with disgust.  Now, could I have taken it from her and quickly poured it out before the bitterness could touch her lips? Maybe I should have been in there making it for her so she would never make a mistake?  Should I have yelled at her and told her she didn't know anything and that she was too stupid to even read directions? Heavens no! (I have never called any of my children stupid by the way.) What I did do is watch her taste and then lovingly told her that I had made the same mistake before and that all she had to do was ask.  I love Belle and I love watching her change and mature but I also know that she still needs me. She also needs to know that I wasn't born with all the answers and that I had to learn from my mistakes.  Parents, don't sign off on your children in their teen years.  Don't chalk it up to letting your kids find their way. God gave me two beautiful girls to guide and love and discipline so that they will be wonderful people.  I see so many parents not even know who their kids are and that's just sad because what sometimes happens is they are forced to deal with who their children have become and its not always "sunshine and roses". I also see the other end of the spectrum and that's watching teens not even know the first thing to do because everything has been done for them, they have never made a mistake.
   So yes, I used baker's cocoa as a teaching tool in my "teachable moment" and I'm proud of it.  I will go a step further and say that we are always doing these things with our Heavenly Father.  We jump in without  thought to consequences or repercussions and we sometimes taste bitterness.  God wants us to go to Him daily, hourly, every minute and ask Him to guide us.  What is your baker's cocoa?

5 comments:

  1. This is wonderful Jessica! I miss those, teachable, moments. No I'm here to support and encourage adult children. Thanks for the chuckle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jessica, I'm glad you like them.

      Delete
  3. Sweet Belle is so lucky to have u as her momma :).

    ReplyDelete